There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you. – Maya Angelou
Mantra: I am safe with myself. I choose to see, feel, and know everything about me. I am safe with myself.
Use these journal prompts to start the journey of knowing yourself. Many of us who don’t know ourselves don’t know how to think in detail about what brings us joy and pleasure. When writing these prompts engage all your senses. Your initial thought is just the beginning. Sit with the question or come back to it over the course of a few days and write more detail. This exercise is meant to to help you connect your mind with your body.
When you don’t know what to write, think: Where do I feel this in my body? Why does this bring me joy when I see it? Is there a sound associated with this idea? A taste? A smell? These are just prompts to help you get started. There is no right or wrong. Maybe a memory pops up when you are considering the question. Write the memory. Why is it associated with this?
- What is my favorite color? Why? Did this change over time?
- If I had an afternoon free, what would I do? The family is all somewhere else and happy and all chores are done.
- What parts of my personality do I like about myself? Why?
- What kind of art do I like? Describe how this art makes you feel – the details of why you like it.
- What is my favorite ice cream flavor? Describe why in detail.
- What kind of movies do I like?
- What kind of person gets on my last nerve?
- What style of clothing do I love? What looks good on my body?
- What is my best physical feature?
- What am I good at?
If you are unable to engage with these questions, don’t feel bad! This is just an indicator that there is work to do in discovering you! We are all on a continuum of discovering who we truly are. Lean into the work with us. The pay off is joy, peace and contentment you didn’t know could exist. This not only benefits yourself but brings the same feelings to all the people in your orbit. What a gift!